Thursday, October 7, 2010

Freedom of Speech & Salt Seasoned Speech

Ok....Here We Go....

So it is not often that I use this blog as anything but fun facts about our lives or to post some fun cute pictures but a couple of things have struck me lately and have been on my mind.  Since these things have been on my mind and have to do with the internet I thought that a blog post about such thought could be profitable for some and the appropriate place for me to put my thoughts.

Before I get into my thoughts let me preface this by saying that I am not a scholar, I do not intend to "make waves" or start discussions with this post.  I am merely thinking "out loud" as it may be thought of.  In all honesty I just want people (if people are reading this blog) to stop and consider.

So here are my thoughts:

The internet and the websites that have sprung from it, such as Facebook, Twitter, and many blogs such as this one, offer one incredible anonymity even if your name is listed right next to the comment or statement.  People do, for some reason, get an extra bit of confidence sitting in front of a computer screen and often feel the need to make statements that they would never make if they were face to face with an individual.  

Facebook status and Twitter tweets have gone from fun loving, keeping up with friends to let me tell you how I feel about anyone who isn't like me by my bold, self-centered, look-at-me statements (in 140 characters or less of course).  

Blogs are even more so because it is your own "space" to write and you are not limited by really any constraints.  You have the ability to write and post whatever you feel like and no one tells you this is not good or censors what you say.

So where did this arrogance of posting, commenting, arguing on the internet come from?
From the 1st Amendment?  Let's consider what the 1st Amendment actually states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. 

From what I read in the 1st Amendment is that Congress isn't allowed to prohibit what we say.  The 1st Amendment is not giving us a carte blanche to say what we want without consideration of others.  Now as I stated before I am NOT a scholar and far from being a student of the law (I am an Art History major who very much loves art...as a side note).   So I may be interpreting this incorrectly and if so I apologize but I'm just reading the words without interpreting them into a deeper meaning.

That's as far as I can read into our law.  I don't know much else but I do know that along with the laws of the land as a Christian woman I am bound by God's law as well.  And that law trumps whatever laws my government has put in place.  However I think these go hand in hand. As far as speech goes here is what the Good Book tells us...

Colossians 4:6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone...

Granted if you do not have faith in God then this statement may not be binding in your mind but it is a good guide as to how to speak to others.  

Also in Philippians 4:8 we are told:
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

Could this not also apply to your speech?
I am a woman of Faith and I do believe that these statements are binding to me.  If I put this hand in hand with what our government has told us as well this is the conclusion I come to:

The Lord is telling me that I should think before I speak and to speak with grace.  If I am dwelling on what is right, pure, lovely, of good repute and of excellence and worthy of praise then shouldn't my speech be default be seasoned with salt?

If I do not take the 1st Amendment to an extreme and see that it speaking to our government and not giving me the right to say whatever I want whenever I want without the consideration of anyone's thoughts or feelings then shouldn't think before I speak?

My conclusion is this:
I am tired of people using the internet, specifically social networking, to promote arrogance of opinion and to belittle others who do not share the same views as you might.  If you have love for others in your heart then you do not promote yourself and think yourself better than others (1 Corinthians 13).  Think of the good you could do if you took a moment before you spoke or typed and considered if this will be profitable to others and is it seasoned with the kind of salt that would make my Lord proud of me?  Or am I taking my 1st Amendment right to an extreme?

I miss the days of Facebook Status stating, "So and So is excited for the weekend."  
MK often asks me why I am selective with who I accept as a friend on Facebook.  My answer is some people have too much of an opinion and I really don't want to read overbearing opinions day in and day out.  

So there you have it.  You may disagree with what I've "said" and perhaps you think I may be using my blog to promote my own thoughts. My intention is to say something to those couple of people reading this blog that maybe we should stop and consider before we type. 
Just some thoughts of whats been on my mind lately.
Agree or Disagree, it's ok.  Just consider.

- lp


5 comments:

  1. Agreed. I hope my statuses haven't bothered you. I try to keep mine as trivial as possible and I really hate getting into FB arguments. So stupid. Social networking sites are great for keeping in touch, but sometimes are a nuisance as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not in the least, I find you entertaining and "always good for a laugh..." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite verses in general that also ties into how we should treat one another is:Philippians 2:3-5 Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.
    I think our society in general is pretty egocentric, part of the reason for a lot if not a majority of our problems as a nation. Luckily there are still lots of really great, kind people out there too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely put! People spout out that they can say whatever because of the 1st amendment. But I think of how we are warned in James about how we must be careful with our speech. "5So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! 8...It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. 9With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God." Jm. 3:5, 8-9 The gift of speech can be a wonderful blessing, but if we give it free reign, it can do more harm than good. Thanks for your thoughts Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really good post. I've been ruminating on it the past couple of days. It is so easy to type something and click a button and POOF...all your thoughts (productive, true, helpful or kind or all the lack thereof) are online.
    It's a BIG leap for me ;) but I've been trying to reign in my tongue over the last few months, esp on Facebook. It's a learning curve, that's for sure. This is a great reminder. Thanks LPK! You so smart!
    (You should be a preacher. :P)

    ReplyDelete