Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Artichokes, Gorgonzola, Giada & Fresh Herbs

Do you like artichokes?  And no I don't mean artichokes in spinach artichoke dip at Chili's or artichoke hearts in a salad...I mean like real fresh artichokes.  I'm trying more and more to eat in season and luckily as always Publix promotes in season veggies with good sales.  So according to this website there is a small crop of artichokes in October.  So I researched some artichoke recipes.

The first recipe I have tried is by Giada De Laurentis, it is Baked Artichokes with Gorgonzola and Herbs. I halved the recipe since there are only two of us.  I also assumed it wouldn't  be that filling however it was quite filling and would work best probably as an appetizer.  I can't say that this is the healthiest of recipes however, I did use fat free Gorgonzola which wasn't quite as gooey as full fat Gorgonzola would be but none the less quite tasty.  It was really easy to make and we really enjoyed it.  
Eating it was an adventure in itself.  MK and I debated on which was the best way to eat it.  If you're not familiar with artichokes the "meat" of the artichoke is at the base of the leaf.  If you scrap your teeth along the leaf you get the tasty "meat."  We decided that if you pile the cheese on top of the individual leaf by dipping or whatever method and then scrap the meat and cheese off it is delicious!
Hope you try it and enjoy!
On this adventurous culinary night we also spotted a culprit that LOVES to leave large gifts of a nasty consistency on my car.  Take a look at this Sand Hill Crane (which are my fav birds)just chilling on my car.

We chased it to a Honda Accord next door and saw the aforementioned nasty gift left on the Accord that we thankfully avoided the next morning.

- lp de laurentis 

No comments:

Post a Comment